Sunday, February 24, 2008

What is a "friendly" class session?

I’ve noticed while observing other professor’s teaching and sometimes with myself, that adding a “friendly” element to a class session is a good thing. It sets the students as ease, shows them that we are all in this together, and can take an individual student out of the self-imposed situation of thinking the professor links a grade to a face. Let me explain.

One day this week we had a snowfall. Our campus was especially beautiful for students walking to our building. I was disappointed with myself for not having my camera with me---because I wanted a photo. So I told my students to make sure they noticed the special beauty of the day….. and if anyone would sent me a jpg, I’d really like it. Then we went on with the class.

As the day went on I got friendly e-mails from students who had never talked to me before personally. As I checked their names, some were in a difficult grade position and struggling with the subject. Yet, this allowed us to discuss a “neutral” topic and agree. I asked these students to wave at me at the next class session…. and now I have a friendly face to go with the photo. We could agree on a topic...the weather! One student told me that he had never taken a moment to look closely at the scenery.

Attached is one photo sent by a student. All of us (180!) walk over a little bridge with this view as we come and go. Rather beautiful at any time of year, but truly special with fresh snow.

So, adding a friendly touch is a good idea. Try it!!